Monday, February 26, 2007

Hey- It worked for him!

" Mussolini may have done many brutal and tyrannical things; he may have destroyed human freedom in Italy; he may have murdered and tortured citizens whose only crime was to oppose Mussolini; but 'one had to admit' one thing about the Dictator: he 'made the trains run on time.'"

(Actually- he didn't, but like our powers-that-be, claimed credit for the work of others)

"Bus passengers are being promised sweeping law changes offering them better odds of getting picked up on time, and by clean and safe vehicles.

The Government intends giving the Auckland Regional Transport Authority, and councils elsewhere in New Zealand, wide powers to set standards for all urban bus and ferry services.

The tough new measures will be imposed regardless of whether the services are run commercially or with subsidies from the public purse.

Regional councils will be able to deregister commercial services which fail to keep to their timetables. Ministry of Transport officials are working on an incentive and penalty regime to apply before that happens..."

There is some interesting, if rather predictable, commentary here:

The usual knee-jerk comentary for the pro's seems to be "Good 'They' are doing something about the problem'

Are 'they'? How are the buses to move on hopelessly inadequate roads, for one.

Then there is this problem with public transport. The public use it.

The smell inside a train or bus on a wet day reminds me of stock trucks or prison wings. Asuming 90% of the public are aware of personal hygiene, that leaves the other 10%. Add drunks, druggies, the permanently baffled and screaming urchins- I'm reminded of why I don't like India as a place to live!

Another is simple economics. It costs more- so what would the MOT Benito clones answers be?
penalise motorists even more, perhaps?

You can bet on it!

No comments: