Saturday, December 11, 2010

Explaining WIFI

It's easier than crawling under the house, in a 40cm high space, were most of the world's supply of cobwebs have been stored for the best part of fifty years.

Or it was until some bastard started tapping into my network and stealing bandwith.

At that point it became easier to spend an hour crawling through Shelob's Lair than to decipher the Chinglish instructions that came with the DICK Smith router, to put the encryption on. I would have forgotten the passwords next time I had to install a new device.

And the kids missed hearing a whole lot of new words, being on the other side of the floor.

I DID learn that a wireless modem will work within a few meters- about 5-6m- if you unscrew the antennae.

Yes, I couldn't figure out how to turn it off, either.

But the cable connection IS faster!

1 comment:

sweetpea said...

That is what encription is for.

Surely you were online a few years back when I passed on the tale of the guy in the Port Hills with wireless connection, passing cargo ships and his big internet bill.