Thursday, December 01, 2005

Life in the Septic Tank (Job Hunting)

I decided, of my own free will and without prompting, to remove last night's vodka-fueled dissertation on the personal habits of HR goons.

Although I still consider them shit-eaters on the bottom of the pond. The pond being the type found on dairy farms.

When being interviewed, I have found honesty to be the best policy, given that porkies easily trip you up. That is why I find it particularly annoying when the interviewing panel start with the BS. I have spent a lot of time interviewing, myself and are quite good at spotting a player of games. Often it's not one thing, but a series of small slips, that gives the game away.

The other one is that NZ is a small town. This is how I KNOW that a job is going in-house and that the interviews are just a matter of form as "HR says we have to follow the 'process'"

They know damn well who they are going to hire, the others that have spent the best part of a day filling out their wanky 'self-assessment' forms, then blow a day going to an interview, are just being jerked around. This covers three of the last four jobs I have applied for.

Fucking time wasters- being interviewed by clowns that obviously have not bothered to read my CV, just because HR dictated the must interview 4 (or whatever) candidates.

And I seriously dislike having my time wasted!

Yeah, I know this sounds like sour grapes on my part and there is a component of that. But I bet anyone who has been on the market for a few years has struck this!

Whilst on the subject, I must mention 'The Great Skill-Shortage' spin. I believe it is a beat-up by lazy NZ business to import ready-trained immigrants, rather than train up someone, who may have the aptitude, but not the specific training.

(I didn't vote for Winston, BTW!)

No comments: