Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Greenery

I find the 'save the planet religion' somewhat amusing- or did until they started evangelizing.

Then, like all evangelists- they became a pain in the arse.

All my life I have been turning off lights and unused appliances, minimizing waste, recycling, reusing and generally scrounging and repairing cast-offs. I don't like waste- that's been drummed into me growing up and it always came down to money. I insulate and use low-energy whatevers WHEN they cost me less to use them and do the maths to prove that they will- or won't. All our food scraps are composted and returned to the garden.

A Greenie?- like hell- it's the Scot's blood! A dollar spent on the electricity is a dollar less for whiskey!

5 comments:

Seamonkey Madness said...

Right on Os!

I have been getting fed up to the back teeth with the Government advertising campaigns we're getting bombarded with.

Every little helps.

It's like the fucking Tesco (UK supermarket) ad, and god knows the accent of the bird who did that was annoying enough!

And now this Wasted! TV progam. On the show the other week, the Wasted lady was telling one of the poor sods how much toilet paper to wipe her bum with?!!?!?

Where does it all end!?

MathewK said...

When you're back in the cave, doing your business in a hole SM. That's what the lefties and greenies want.

"A dollar spent on the electricity is a dollar less for whiskey!"

An entirely valid point.

Anonymous said...

We saved 15% on our power bill by turning off everything that usually sits on standby (m-wave, dishwasher, tv's, dvd, etc etc.). Like you I did it to save me money. Trouble is, the more power you save the more the bastards put up the line charges to make up for the reduction in power income.

Brian Smaller

Anonymous said...

"the Wasted lady was telling one of the poor sods how much toilet paper to wipe her bum with?!!?!?

One up, One down and one for polishing.

Brian Smaller

Anonymous said...

Hi SM .. I've many times ended my anti-Nanny State rants to Leighton Smith's programme with ...

"I await instructions on how many times a day I should wipe my bum."

That's the thing about state-creep. In time, the truly absurd really does become reality.

Laugh loudly at the bastards. They *really* hate it! It's a beautiful thing! :)