Saturday, March 22, 2008

Public 'Holidays'

There has been a lot of fuss about shops opening- or wanting to open- 365 days a year.

I can't see what the fuss is all about. There are already a hell of a lot of us working 365 (366 days this year)

It doesn't matter how 'special' the day may be to some- they still expect essential workers to turn out. Hear a Cop or a fireman moaning about working Christmas and they will soon be told that they must have known that this would be part of the job. We all know that- and there are a lot of us for whom the job never stops. We well know it 'goes with the job'

Why are shop workers different? They know that modern retailing is as near as to a 365 p/a job- so don't cry about them 'being forced' to work.

Coming back to the sacredness of some days- they sure ain't so precious that *EVERYONE* HAS to take a day off!

Although it may be interesting to have an 'Essential Workers' day off.

Going without us for a day may make some appreciate what you have- and who makes it happen!

2 comments:

Oi said...

I have mixed feelings abouth this.
70 years back, the workers fought bitter battles against abusive employers who treated their workers abominably, and with a lot of blood sweat and tears, achieved decent contitions including the 40hr week.
I'm sure that someone will rear up at this and say that sort of abuse wouldnt happen now - I say bullshit. The employers are already trying to winch back those concessions won. Its only a short step from asking for persons to work on a Sunday/Easter/Xmas to telling them their job is at risk if they dont work them.

On the other hand, I would like to do my shopping whenever I please - provided I am not one of those workers who is forced to work inside a boiling hot shed on Sunday when my mates are out hunting.
[And I hasten to add that I spent decades in a service where we worked rolling rosters covering every hour of every day of the week - but I knew that went with the job and has done so for several hundred years]

Gecko said...

I'm with you on this one Oswald!