When I have been in strife a couple of years back (badly injured and a long time recovering), the first thing we did was to slash our expenses.
Not piss about nibbling at the edges- we slashed them.
Sold up, brought a smaller property with a much smaller mortgage. Canned all non- essential services like SKY, wheelie bin, newspapers, mobile phones, magazine subscriptions and so on.
Shopping was for what was on special and basics only- menus were planned for the fortnight around what we had brought. All trips by car were planned and events like family outings only happened when we were doing the shopping. We had a garden and I hunted for the pot. We brought second-hand clothes and generally did without.
So in the big picture, this is what needs to be done. The public service needs to be SLASHED and NOW. Just visit Libertarianz to see how much blubber we carry and what to do about it.
Here's just a start of the boondoggles to be axed in the Libertarianz Stop-Spending-So-Goddamned-Much Plan:
- Cindy Kiro's Office for the Children's Commissioner
- Peter Dunne's Families Commission
- Paula Rebstock's Commerce Commission
- David Lange's Ministry for Women's Affairs
- Jim Anderton's Ministry of Economic Development
- The Ministry of Pacific Island Affairs
- The Ministry for Maori AffairsThe Race Relations Conciliator
- The Ministry of Youth Development
- Alcohol Advisory Council of New Zealand
- Action on Smoking Hysterics
- Asia New Zealand Foundation
- Electricity Commission
- Energy Efficiency & Conservation Authority
- The National Advisory Council on the Employment of Women
- The Department of Labour