Sunday, July 24, 2005

'Experts'- who needs them?

A couple of years ago, I brought a real cheap .22 rifle. I had always been told that this make (a Stirling) was a piece of trash, badly made, unreliable and inaccurate.

I saw this rifle going dirt cheap and thought, what the hell, it's worth it for the 'scope thats on it.

Even the salesman thought it best to mention that perhaps I should not expect much from this firearm and that they were rather prone to jamming.

I brought it anyway.

After I got it home, I stripped it down and removed what looked like about 30 years worth of fouling, dirt and oil from the action!

Since then this rifle has not missed a beat- the only time I had a few jams was using cheap Phillipine ammo. I have taken many rabbits, possums, magpies and other pests with it, but had never done more than a rough 'sight-in'

Out of curiosity, I took this 'cheap and nasty piece out to the range today, just to see what it could do. At 25 metres, it ripped a large single hole in the middle of the 10 ring.

At 100 metre, it shot 5 rounds into an area 25 x 50 mm. It doesn't get much better than that!- even on rifles made by far more 'reputable' manufacturers- that charge ten times what I paid for this ugly duckling!

Guess you can't believe everything you hear!

Can't help but wonder how many of the so-called 'experts' out there, base their opinions on what they have actually experienced.

Or mayby they just can't shoot for shit or do basic maintainence...

No comments: